Sunday, January 15, 2012

Stuffed Peppers Sunday

It is absolutely freezing here in Boston. The high today was somewhere around 15 degrees, and because of the wind chill, the "feels like" temp has hovered in the negatives all day. NOT pleasant. I avoided going outside for most of the day by deep cleaning my apartment, but eventually I had to venture out. I met my sister to get our nails done, and then I hit the grocery store. I hate shopping on Sundays because it's always crowded, but it needed to get done! The hubs and I did some meal planning for the week (I have a CRAZY busy week with events Tues, Weds, and Thurs night), and I had to get all the fixings.

On the menu tonight is stuffed peppers. The hubs (the chef of our apartment) makes amazing stuffed peppers, as I have mentioned before, so this time, I documented the process and wrote down the recipe! So without further ado, here it is!

Johnny O's Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
     - 6 large bell peppers (we used yellow tonight, any color will do though)
     - 10 oz ground turkey
     - 1 large can of diced tomatoes (28oz can)
     - 1 large onion - diced
     - 2 Tbsp brown sugar
     - 1 Tbsp Goya Adobo seasoning
     - 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
     - 2 tsp paprika
     - 1 tsp chipotle powder (chili powder can be substituted)
     - 2 cups cooked rice
     - 12 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1. Cook the rice. We have a rice cooker, so we make a whole batch of it, but if you make it on the stove it can take a while, so it's always good to start with the rice first! And pre-heat the over. 350 degrees!




2. Chop up the onion, and add it to a hot skillet with the ground turkey. Brown the onion and meat.




3. Drain the can of diced tomatoes, and add to the skillet.


giant can from Trader Joe's

4. Add brown sugar to the mix, and allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.




5. While the good stuff is simmering, cut and clean the peppers. We chose to cut the peppers in half. Not only does it make it WAY easy to clean them out, it almost makes for more stuffing area. Use a non-stick sheet, or spray the bottom of each pepper (rather than the whole sheet) for easy removal later.

a few rouge seeds in there...
6. Now that the tomatoes and meat are all nice and juicy, shut off the heat and add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix it all together.


7. Once everything is good and mixed up, add a heaping 1/2 cup of the mix to each half pepper.


8. Add a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella to each pepper, and then put them in the oven! They should be in for about 10-15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.


Once the peppers are tender, turn the oven to broil for about 3 minutes. This will brown the cheese and crisp up the tops of the peppers!

9. ENJOY!!!



These puppies are DELICIOUS. They have the tiniest kick to them and are so flavorful (although you can make them spicier by adding more chipotle/chili powder). They're healthy, filling, and super easy (pretty sure that's the trifecta of cooking). I obviously did the watching, not the cooking, but IF I ever wanted to cook, I'm sure I could make these no problemo. Maybe. I wouldn't trust my cooking though...

Off to watch the Golden Globes!

No comments:

Post a Comment