Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow Patrol

Yesterday, I did something I've been wanting to do since last winter. I WENT SKIING!


On Wednesday, my sister texted me and asked if I wanted to join her on a ski trip this weekend. I've been talking about how I want to go skiing this winter, since I never went last year, and there was really no reason NOT to go. She found out about a ski club that has buses that leave from her neighborhood and you get a deal on the whole ski package. So of course, I jumped at the chance!

Let me preface. I have not skied since I was in the fourth grade. And that was only one time. My sister on the other hand, used to ski all the time and actually owned her own skis. Knee surgery in high school side-lined her for a while, but in the past few years she's gone at least a couple times a winter. She knows how to ski. I do not. But she promised me she'd show me the ropes and ride the easy trails with me.

We got up at 4:30 on Saturday morning and took the bus to Jay Peak in Vermont. It was COLD out, but we were properly bundled, so it wasn't so bad. It snowed at the beginning of the day, but that just made for some pretty chairlift rides.


I had SUCH a good time. I fell a couple times, but way less than I thought I would. And only once did it actually hurt (I fell right on my knee...the same knee I bashed into the coffee table last week, so it was just not going to feel good no matter what). We got ourselves into a blue square situation which was NOT pretty, but that was the only time during the day that I was completely enjoying myself!


By the end of the day my toes were FROZEN and my legs were pretty tired, but it was a great experience (my awesome $20 snow pants kept me super warm, even if they were SO unflattering). I happen to love my sister a whole lot, so spending the day together was an added bonus to the whole thing.


Today I am incredibly sore. My arms and back more than my legs, but I can definitely feel it all over. There are some bruises and even a bump (on my knee, of course), but I would do it again in a heart beat. It was great to get out of the city and try something new (and get a great workout in), and my sister and I are already planning our next trip. :)

Any suggestions for good beginner mountains in the MA/VT/NH area?

No comments:

Post a Comment