Monday, January 10, 2011

Booked!

Race registration? Booked! Plane tickets? Booked? Hotel room? Booked (although we almost didn't have one)! Excitement and nerves? Also booked!!



I was waiting to see how my knee would do on the 16 mile Saturday run before registering and booking plane tickets and a hotel room. Thankfully, it was just fine. I don't know if it was the ice or the sport's massage or maybe a combination of the two. Whatever it was, I'm SO glad it was okay.



The run itself wasn't so great. I definitely didn't hit the time that I was trying to but I know that it'll get better. I also had a very difficult time fighting the mental battle of the long run. I'd really love to hear some tips on how to defeat the mental wall.



Have you ever had a sport's massage? Did it help you? I avoided it because I usually like the mild/medium pressure and thought the deep tissue part would be too much for me to handle. The pain I've endured in my neck during long runs was finally out of control and time for me to take action. For the past year I have had this sharp pain in my lower neck/shoulder area that would show up on longer runs. The pain would radiate down my back and arm and would make just about send me crying if anything so much as touched it. At times the massage was really painful and at times it just made me laugh hysterically (which was so embarrassing). All in all, it was SO worth it. The massage therapist was able to determine that it is in fact a nerve issue and she used a lot of pressure and technique to help fix it. Normally, I'd feel this pain start around mile 4 or 5, after the massage I only saw it around mile 10 and it didn't even radiate down my back or arm!! I was advised to get a few more massages and take an herbal supplement. Umm... more massages in my life? Yes, please. It's such a relief to get rid of this pain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment