Monday, January 31, 2011

Bad News Bears

After talking with my dad, I decided that an easy 14 miler would be the best Saturday run two weeks before the marathon. During the first couple of miles I noticed my ankle felt a little off so every so often I would stop and stretch it. At mile 7 I took some more time to stretch it and it still just wasn't quite right. Then came somewhere between mile 8 and 8.5, I just couldn't take it anymore. I could feel my ankle swell up and it became more and more difficult to even walk. Thank goodness Jay has been riding his bike along with me, despite his own injury. He had to ride ahead of me and bring the truck to me. Today, I can walk a bit better but it still hurts. I've been using the RICE method (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) and am now debating whether or not to head to a doctor. I do not know a good sports doctor specializing in ankles that practices in Albuquerque, so I'd be rolling the dice.

I'm definitely glad that I didn't run the full 14 but maybe I should have stopped at 2? It's so tough because there are many long runs that I feel something is a bit off and it usually goes back to normal after a few miles. I thought this was one of those times it would just warm up a little later. All I know is that I desperately want this injury to go away FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment