Monday, April 11, 2011

Gold Star Monday

I get a gold star today because I did it! I got home from work, changed into my workout clothes, AND WENT TO THE GYM FOR SPIN CLASS.


Yes, I am fully awake that I look like I should be institutionalized in this picture, but I'm so excited about this accomplishment. I have not once since I started my new job gone to good old gym after work. Weekends, maybe. Tried the new gym? Yes. Run outside, maybe twice? But this is most definitely the best feeling. It only took me seven weeks to make it happen. OH WELL. It really wasn't THAT bad either. I think the fact that it's light out when this is all happening is a HUGE help.

I honestly wasn't sure I was going to make it tonight, but I pushed myself to go, and I pushed through a hard workout. We had an eventful weekend, and I was totally drained today. Working out definitely made it better.

This weekend was eventful for two reasons. One: We went to the Red Sox-Yankees game on Sunday night! It was SO much fun. We are die hard Sox fans (I was born and raise in MA and the hubs moved here when he was 5), but we're never seen them play the Yankees before, so this was super exciting for us.


Two: Saturday night was the Fenway Community Health Men's Event! This is the black tie that I've been working on for months and months and I was super excited for the day. It's so fun to get dresses up and go out for a fancy party. This is my third year attending the event, and I felt so fabulous this year.

This is me at the event in 2009 vs. 2011 (and please excuse how dumb I look in the 2009 picture. It was the best one I could find...)




Unfortunately the night ended on a very very sad note. A man attending the event had a heart attack after dinner. Just as the dancing had started, the lights came on and we were asked if there was a doctor in the house.  It's unclear whether or not the man lived, but from what we witnessed it did not look very promising. I've never seen anything like that happen so suddenly before (even during all my time volunteering at the hospital), and it definitely shook me up. The man wasn't THAT old or THAT heavyset, but it put life into pretty harsh perspective. It made me realize just how important it is to be conquering my weight battles NOW. It's definitely not easy, and most nights I do not want to go to the gym, but realizing that I'm helping ensure that I live a longer and better life is keeping me going.

I know it's kind of a morbid story, but I'm definitely still in shock from the events of this weekend, and I'm not sure they'll leave me for a while. The silver lining is that it's made me put in some extra effort that I've been lacking lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment