Monday, March 28, 2011

Our Nation's Capital

This weekend was the National Marathon and 1/2 Marathon in Washington DC. So many bloggers that I read and aspire to be like were in the city running. I was in the city visiting my non-Welsh friend from Wales and most definitely NOT running 13.1 miles. I would have liked to go cheer them on, or meet them at the epic blogger meet up, but alas, it didn't happen for me. Maybe next year.

That is not to say that I did not have a WONDERFUL weekend. AL (the husband's cousin's wife) and I left nice and early Friday morning, and got to DC in plenty of time to do a little exploring before my friend got out of work. We walked around from Union Station and made a stop at the Capital building.


On Saturday, after a killer spin class (in which I had a busto bike seat that kept falling down, not matter how tight I screwed it in), we made out way out again to see the sights. But not before lunch at my favorite place in DC...


I'm honestly NOT the biggest sandwich eater, but this place is AMAZING. I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to it, but ohhh man it's good. Once our bellies were full with turkey (and a little fro-yo), we went down to the tidal basin. It was cold, but the sun felt so good, and the cherry blossoms were gorgeous!



Each of the trees is numbered and cataloged. This way, the government can keep track of when each tree was planted, if it's healthy, and other things like that.


We had a great time walking around, seeing the sights, and people watching. It was nice to get out and enjoy the sun!


On Sunday we saw the September 11th memorial at the Pentagon. I hadn't seen it before, and it was a somber experience. There are benches for each person who died that day in Virginia and they organized by age. The benches pointing to the sky were people who died on the plane, and those pointing towards the Pentagon are for those people who died in the building.


To brighten up our day, we decided to wait in the ridiculous line for Georgetown Cupcakes. This is the cupcake place on the TLC show "DC Cupcakes" and it is POPULAR. We waited an hour and 10 minutes to get in the store, but the cupcakes were so delicious, and since the weather was nice, it really wasn't a bad wait.



Overall, it was a fun weekend. There was the perfect amount of being a tourist, and totally relaxing. It was nice to get home early enough today that I could still go to Trader Joe's and for a run (ouch. outside run for the first time in a week and a half), but getting back to work tomorrow is going to be tough! Hopefully it's not THAT bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment