Thursday, May 23, 2013

Crock Pot Enchiladas

I love to bake and I love to cook. Now that I have more time in my schedule I have redeveloped my passion for cooking and creating my own recipes.  Growing up in a Mexican-American family I have been exposed to some amazing traditional Mexican dishes, but they aren’t always the healthiest. I’d like to start recreating some of my favorite recipes and posting here for your enjoyment. How about we start with an easy and so delicious recipe for enchiladas?


 

Crock Pot Enchiladas

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breasts

14 Oz Red Chile (Bueno makes a great one!)

1 Can Reduce Sodium Black Beans

Corn Tortillas

1 Tbsp Oil

Light Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt

Cheddar Cheese

Lettuce (Optional)

Onion (Optional)

 
Place a few spoonfuls of chile at the bottom of a crock pot. Place the chicken breasts and coat with the remaining chile and ½ cup of the can of chicken broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, add the black beans and continue to cook until the beans are warmed up. Just before serving, add the olive oil to a pan set at medium heat. Using prongs, add a tortilla into the warm oil and cook on each side for about 10 seconds, you just need the tortilla to be soft, not crispy. You could also eliminate this step and just put microwaved tortillas on the plate, but that softened tortilla captures more of the authentic flavor. I placed my tortillas on a napkin and blotted off any remaining oil before placing on a plate. Top with the red chile/black bean/chicken mixture, cheese, lettuce, onion and a small dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant idea! Me gusta! (that was my Mexican-American comment)

    ReplyDelete